At the heart of student life at UCLA Architecture and Urban Design is our studio culture. Our studio-based curriculum fosters collaborative and supportive relationships between students and faculty and models how to be respectful of differences of opinion and how to work collectively on a set of questions.
UCLA Architecture and Urban Design is a champion of ideas and their articulate expression.
Our exceptional faculty teach students to engage the world around them, to see ideas as productive forms of response, and to leverage design and writing as expressions of newly curated perspectives.
Mission & Vision
- Students browse colleagues' projects in Perloff Hall Studio
- MArch design crit during Rumble 2023
- Students in dialogue in Perloff Hall Studio
Events and Public Programming
Each year, AUD convenes a series of public lectures, conferences, and other events that enrich the student experience and offer a cultural outlet for design-curious audiences.
- AUD faculty listen to Thom Mayne present his new book at AUD
- Students browse projects in Perloff Hall Studio
Research and Publications
The role of research at UCLA Architecture and Urban Design is to produce new forms of knowledge. These forms can be expressed in a variety of ways: from the design of spaces, objects, buildings, urban environments, urban strategy, and images, to a carefully curated exhibition or the writing of a compelling story or scholarly text.
- MSAUD design crit during Rumble 2023
- Students check out colleagues' research models